When Katie Priebe, past MADSS volunteer and current Producer at WKOW Channel 27, invited me to be on live during their Sunday morning show to share about our Lose the Training Wheels Bike Camp, I jumped at the chance.
I will share with you my three minutes of fame but I need to be honest - this was not my best TV appearance. Here are some things I noticed:
- I must have never learned to smile when I grew up.
- Despite a pillow behind my back, I don't have the best posture (my physical therapist agrees).
- I failed to mention our partners and major sponsors - that was in the pre-interview plan the host and I set up, but I didn't stick with my "message triangle".
- I chose the wear the camp's t-shirt but it was too bright for TV.
- I need to keep my eyes open even when speaking from the heart.
So here it is: http://www.wkow.com/story/18807704/lose-the-training-wheels-bike-camp. I hope I am invited back.
What is really neat is that Channel 27 reached out to us to do this story. We live in a community that is too ignorant about Down syndrome but this community is also eager to hear your stories: whether you are a person living life with Down syndrome, or you are a parent, caregiver or other professional serving individuals with Down syndrome, this community wants to learn about you.
Watch this blog for a full report on this week's amazing bike camp.